Richmond Expungements Attorney

Virginia Seal Arrest Records Lawyer

The record of your arrest can remain and can cause problems when you are applying for a job, looking for an apartment and in other ways. Even when you are not convicted or the prosecution is dropped, your arrest will be part of your criminal history until you act to remove it. With the assistance of an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer, you may be able to have all record of the arrest sealed. In effect, your arrest record is wiped out.

When you contact the Law Office of Susan E. Allen, in Richmond, I will set up a confidential meeting to examine all the facts and circumstances surrounding your prior criminal matters and work with you to determine whether you can seek expungement.

Increasingly, employers, landlords and others are asking for background checks and denying jobs and housing to people with any type of criminal history. In certain jobs, such as working at a bank or as a contractor, or where you need to be bonded, a criminal history can keep you from getting a job.

If you have not been convicted of a criminal charge or after arrest, both misdemeanor or felony, the arrest may be expunged. It is important to note that an expungement can be pursued ONLY if you have not been convicted of the charges that were leveled against you. You cannot expunge a criminal conviction.

I can help you take all the necessary action to remove either type of criminal charge from your permanent record. When you successfully expunge criminal charges, you are not required to disclose that you were arrested. For the most part, it will be as if the arrest or charge never happened. Only a court can allow access to a sealed and expunged criminal record.

Restoration of Civil and Firearms Rights

If you have been convicted of a felony, you lose your civil rights and right to possess a firearm. These rights can be restored. Even after a felony conviction, you can regain your right to vote, sit on a jury, or be a notary public. Some people are avid hunters so the loss of firearms rights is a serious matter. A person convicted of a felony can petition the court and have their right to carry a gun restored.

To set up a private meeting to discuss whether your criminal record can be expunged, contact me or call me at (804) 592-2058. My office is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., and evenings and weekends by appointment. Credit cards accepted.